Monday, April 09, 2012

What Does God Say About Friendship?

I am feeling melancholy today. I want to scream "Satan - Be Gone". I feel him whispering in my ear that I am unloved. I hear him telling me that I have no friends, nobody wants to talk to me, nobody wants to hang out with me, nobody wants to gather for girl's game night. Why do I let him make me feel these things? I do feel this way today. I have been feeling this way often lately. I feel let down more times than not. I feel sad because the friends I hung out with just last year, I haven't seen in ages. I know everybody comes into your life for a season, but these friends, members of my church family, are the reason I wanted to stay here instead of moving back home to Virginia. Today for some reason, I am wanting to be away from here. To not be let down. To not have known them because then I wouldn't be hurting today. I know we all have busy lives. We all have families to take care of, and family time is great. I just don't want to lose these friendships.

I am shy. I love to serve the Lord. I love to help people, love people, share whatever God has blessed me with with the people I love. I feel like I always give 110% to everything...including my friends. I feel like I am reliable, dependable, available whenever they need me. I feel I go out of my way to make sure I am able to help them. I do that because that is who I am, I have never expected anything in return....but just for today, I wish for a dependable friend to talk to. To cry on their shoulder.

I still have friends....many are going through their own trials today. I still love all of my friends, even if I am feeling let down today. Tomorrow will be better....I know...I am hoping getting these feelings off of my chest will help me mourn and move on!

So, with how I am feeling today...I googled "What does God Say About Friendship", and this is what I found (the Bible is such a wonderful tool for everyday life):

Proverbs 17:17 - A friend loves at all time, and a brother is born for adversity.
Hebrews 10:24-25 - And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
Job 6:14 - He who withhold kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 - Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
Psalm 41:9 - Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
1 Peter 4:8-10 - Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace.
Proverbs 16:28 - A dishonest man spreads strife and a whispere separates close friends.
Proverbs 25:17 - Let your foot be seldom in your neighor's house, lest he have his fill of you and hate you.

I could go on and on...there were so many verses that rang true in my ears. The last one that I included above makes me worry that I have asked too much of my friends...that I have intruded myself into their lives too much. I don't feel like I have done this, but it makes me wonder.

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, only God does. I do know that even though I am feeling lonely and sad today, I do know that the Lord is with me, he will never forget me or forsake me. He loves me with no strings attached. He is my forever friend; tried and true. I belong to Him. He is living in my heart and with him I can do anything. And I love how He works...as I was typing these last few sentences, the words of this song popped in my head - AMEN - what a friend we have in Jesus!

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.

Thank you Jesus!

No comments: