Friday, April 20, 2012

The Life of a Mom

Some same that being a parent isn't all it is cracked up to be. Some say it is the best job they have ever had. Some say they never wanted to do anything else....others say they never want to do it at all....but no matter your feelings of being a mom, I think it is safe to say a mother's job is never done.

It doesn't matter if you stay at home or work in an office, being a mom is a 24-hour job. She is a taxi driver, a cook, a seamstress, a referree, an enforcer, a teacher, a shoulder to cry on, a nurse, and the list goes on. This is not to say that Dads don't do their share. I know many hands-on dads who could be considered Mr. Moms. They do a great job as well...but speaking from a mother's point of view, I can say the job is relentless.

I didn't know quite how much this was true of everything...including birds...until I watch a mom and her 4 babies for a day.

The nest is right outside my window and I watched them build the nest a few weeks back when the tree hadn't gotten the leaves on it yet.


They did a great job and I have to admit as I watched them, I wondered why they bothered. But yesterday I saw why they took such care, flying here and there to build this nest with an intensity you don't often see of most humans. They wanted a safe place to have their babies. What mom (or dad) doesn't want this. A place to call home, a place to feel safe and protected from the elements. These birds found a safe place and made a shelter for their babies....then the babies are here and there focus changes...yesterday their focus was on feeding their little hungry babies....I am pretty sure they were both helping, but it might have just been the mom and she was very fast - who knows....but I can tell you that she was at it all day. She would fly away, come back with a worm or what looked like bread, she would stand on the edge of the nest while the 4 little babies sat with their mouths opened wide waiting for them to drop the food into their mouths. They didn't doubt their parents, they knew they would return bringing with it a morsel to fill their bellies. And those birds did this all day....she would rest for about 5 minutes laying on top of them, and then it was off again. I never saw her there for more than 5 minutes at a time. I couldn't get enough of it. I snapped picture after picture waiting to see their little open beaks over the top of the nest nestled in the leaves of the tree in my front yard. And I thought to myself, I sit here at this desk, typing, and working, putting up with things I feel many don't have to put up with....but it could be worse...I could be laboring hard all day long just to put food in my babies' bellies. I am sitting in the air condition, in a comfy chair, only using my brain and my hands....I could be teetering on the edge of a nest, in the heat (with shade from the leaves), I could have to leave my boys and go outside of the home to look for food for them....I am so blessed to be able to have a job in this economy....a job that allows me to work from home, watch my children grow, to feed my family, and give them love. I am so blessed to sit here and be able to look out my window and see the love of God through the things He created...the trees, the grass, the sky, and the birds! Thank you Jesus!

No comments: