Well, Christmas has come and gone and I can honestly say it was the best Christmas I have had in a long time.
I had big plans for the month of December, unfortunately, I ran out of time, energy, and money, but I did do several things that I had planned. On Friday night, the 23rd, after battling bronchitis for several days and working a strenuous 50 hours last week, I barely got off of work at 5:30, and made it over to the nursing home at 6:30 (which I never asked, but I think we may have been a little late). Thankfully, for Teresa's sake, she had lots of helpers and since I still had several errands to run, after spending a little time with some of the residents, we left and I made a few stops, took the boys home and went back out to finish Christmas shopping and grocery shopping for our normal 2 weeks worth of groceries. I didn't get home until after 12...but I was able to let 4 people cut in front of me, it didn't seem fair to make them wait when I had so much more then them.
After going to bed around 2, I got back up at 6:30 and Jeremy and I headed over to the church to pass out doughnuts and coffee. It didn't turn out as well as I thought it would when we signed up to go to the truck stop. Satan tried to bring me down, but in the end, we had a good time and we discussed ways to make it better next year. We were also able to take 12 dozen doughnuts with us when we left.....Alison, Wendy, and our families left at 10 to head over to the apartments. I love those kids with all of my heart, so I was so excited to be able to give them a small piece of love with the help of so many people (friends and people from the church). With donated toys, clothes, and money, we were able to give 11 families a box of food with enough food for a Christmas meal of ham, veggies, stuffing, potatoes, corn bread, and brownies, plus some food that was gathered for a food drive at Wendy's sister's preschool. We also got each kid - 29 of them, a bag of small gifts. Wendy presented the story about the birth of Jesus and did a edible snowman craft. Alison provided the story of his birth in spanish - a book for each family. They didn't come out as soon as we got there, so again Satan tried to work on my mind...but it didn't work, and the kiddos came, and we all had a wonderful time. They seemed to be really happy with everything, and I pray they were blessed and that they take to heart the good news that Wendy shared with them. We also had boxes of donated clothes, which they happily looked thruogh and found plenty to help them out! I was so blessed to be able to do this for them, with God behind me and with the help of friends and family.
I focused on families with children, but one man was out there and seemed to be waiting to see if we had anything for him. I felt terrible, so we gave him left over cookies and candy from the edible craft, but JC and I still felt bad, so we told him we would be back in a few hours. We took the boys home, had some lunch, and headed back at to brave the stores on Christmas Eve. We hit Aldis first and went back to deliver his box of food. JC was a little disappointed to see him and his friend smoking a blunt. I told him that God knew what was in our heart and this man would one day have to answer to God. JC got very emotional because that was him long ago. He has a heart to help people who struggle with drinking, drugs, pornograpy, and living in the ghetto. I orderd him the Man Up movie which just might help him. I also got him the Courageous book and he got me the Courageous books for women. From there, we went by the boys' friend's house to drop off the food and gifts we had got for them. Then we went to Lane Bryant, Walmart and finally made it back home.
Keydarius' mom called and said Keydarius had put some stuff together for us and they wanted to bring it by. His gifts were so thoughtful and heartfelt...he got me a picture frame with his picture when he was 4 or 5. He got JC a blanket, Jeremy a stuffed teddy bear with candy, Randall a 2-liter of Mountain Dew, and James a container of Cotton Candy. They were very thoughtful gifts and meant even more since I know they are short on money.
The boys each opened a gifts on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, I believe everybody got what they were asking for. JC and the boys were very generous and got me several books, a mani/pedi gift certificate, and embellishments to use for scrapbooking/stampin up.
After opening gifts, I made breakfast while JC got ready for church. We made it to church a little bit early and I handed out MOST of the cards I had made, but not all. I still have quite a few left. JC made me lunch in bed and they allowed me to lay in bed reading and resting for several hours until I got up to cook dinner. It was a wonderful 2 days.
On Monday, we drove down to Lexington, SC to see Amy and her kids. I was nervous and I found out that she was nervous too, but we had a really good time and I really enjoyed catching up with her. I am amazed how strong they are and how much they love being down here after all that has happened since they have relocated.
I am thankful for the reason we celebrate - the birth of Jesus Christ and that he later died on the cross for my sins. I am thankful for friends and family that truly love and care for me, even with my faults. As 2011 is winding down, I want to take time to reflect on what has happened this past year and make plans for the new year...plans to learn to relax. Plans to spend more time with my family. Plans to read more, plans to relax more, plans to craft more. PLANS TO BE IN MY BIBLE MORE! 2010 was the year of change, 2011 was the year of mourning, I pray 2012 will be the year of relaxing....
No comments:
Post a Comment